Become a volunteer at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
Volunteers are important members of the health care team. They offer service and support to our patients, families and visitors while enhancing patient care and the overall experience at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
Due to COVID-19 we are currently not accepting online applications until further notice. Please continue to check back for updates.
Applications to volunteer with the Auxiliary at the Abbotsford Regional Hospital Gift Shop are available on their website.
Adult volunteer opportunities
(Over 19 years of age)
Volunteers must have prior volunteer experience to apply. Please note that vacancies vary so we may not have an opening in your preferred volunteer program. Applications are kept on file for 6 months.
- Emergency Department
- Gift Shop
- Greeter Desk
- Medical Imaging
- Renal Services
- Surgical Day Care
- Volunteer Visitors
We will contact you for an interview, only if a suitable position becomes available. If you reside outside of the Abbotsford community, we suggest you submit your application to the hospital in the community in which you reside.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- Previous volunteer experience
- Minimum Age: 19 years (excludes VolunTEEN Program)
- Minimum commitment of 6 months (Vacations can be accommodated)
- Ability to attend a regularly scheduled 2-4 hour shift once a week
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Successful applicants will be asked to provide references and agree to a Criminal Record Check
- Provide proof of immunity to measles and proof of seasonal flu vaccination
Please be aware that our intake process takes 6-8 weeks from the time that we contact you for an interview. It is a multi-step process designed to ensure the safety of our patients, residents and clients.
- Step 1 Application: Complete the application form
- Step 2 Interview: Only candidates who qualify for available positions will be contacted for an initial interview
- Step 3 Screening: Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4 Orientation: Attend a mandatory volunteer orientation
- Step 5 Placement: Training and placement following orientation
Please note the application will take a minimum of 20 minutes to complete and will require you to have examples of your work and volunteer experience, emergency contact information, references, shift availability etc. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
A list of interests will be offered at the beginning of the online application process. It is very important to select areas of interest and include your availability in your application. Placement depends on individual skill, availability, experience and the current needs of our volunteer programs.
VolunTEEN program (16 - 19 years of age)
Due to Covid-19, we are currently not accepting applications for our VolunTEEN program. As updates become available, secondary school career counsellors will be informed and the website will be updated. We appreciate your understanding.
Auxiliary to Abbotsford Regional Hospital
The Auxiliary to Abbotsford Regional Hospital has been serving the health care communities for over 95 years. This non-profit society oversees and manages the hospital gift shop and is involved closely with the Fraser Valley Health Care Foundation in providing funding for much needed medical equipment and patient comfort items.
If you are interested in volunteer opportunities with the auxiliary, please email email@example.com.
Long term care
Together with residents, families, and staff, volunteers partner to practice a philosophy of care that:
- Promotes comfort, independence and a sense of belonging for our residents
- Encourages socialization
- Supports communication, leisure interests, varying living abilities and diverse spirituality