Become a volunteer at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
Volunteers are important members of the health care community and truly enhance the patient, family and visitor experience at Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
Volunteer Resources strives to develop and maintain roles that serve and support patients, families and visitors while increasing an overall positive hospital experience.
We celebrate diversity and inclusiveness, and therefore we welcome people from ages 16 years and older to apply. We take pride in finding the right match for our programs and for successful volunteer engagement.
- Welcome and Wayfinding – Act as an Ambassador and source of information by welcoming and helping navigate patients, families, clients and visitors through their hospital journey.
- Auxiliary Gift Shop – Support the Auxiliary to Abbotsford Regional Hospital with customer service, cashier duties and organization of stock items.
- Volunteer Resources Office – Support the Volunteer Resources team by updating engagement bulletin boards, decorating the volunteer lounge and assisting in clerical/administrative tasks.
- Activity Packs – Create and organize patient Activity Packs for those needing a bit of a distraction while they are in hospital, partnering with the Fraser Valley Health Care Foundation and the Auxiliary to Abbotsford Regional Hospital.
- Patient Advisory Committee – Dedicate your time and expertise as a patient and family advisor to help make the health care experience better for others, with the opportunity to influence the planning, delivery and evaluation of health care in Fraser Health.
- Surgical Day Care (SDC) Host – Provide a welcoming environment for day surgery patients and families.
- General Day Care (GDC) Host – Provide a welcoming environment for patients before and after their medical treatment or procedures.
- Neonatal Intensive Care (NICU) Cuddler – Comfort infants between visits of parents and staff for newborns needing some extra TLC.
- Foundation – Assist with special events for Abbotsford Regional Hospital, under director of the Fraser Valley Health Care Foundation (FVHCF).
- Emergency Room (ER) Host – Liaise between patients, families, visitors and staff to provide general information and wayfinding for waiting patients.
- Medical Imaging – Support patients with information and wayfinding by providing a friendly and welcoming environment.
- Laboratory Services – Assist patients with information and wayfinding by providing a friendly and welcome environment.
- Renal Services – Provide a warm and friendly voice and listening ear to patients affected by kidney disease.
- B.C. Pets & Friends / St. John Ambulance Pet Therapy – Visit with patients, families, visitors and staff who need a little pet connection.
We are looking for volunteers that have a high level of self-awareness, adaptability and a variety of life experience. Good communication and customer service skills are essential. You must feel confident in dealing with the general public and a diverse populations.
Volunteers must meet the following requirement to be a successful candidate:
- Minimum age is 16 years old. Parent/legal guardian consent is required for applicants under the age of 18
- 150 hours or a one year commitment (vacation requests are allowed)
- Ability to attend a regularly scheduled two to four hour shift once a week
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Proof of immunity to Measles (MMR)
- Proof of Flu Vaccine
- Proof of COVID-19 full vaccination status
If you are a successful candidate you will be asked to provide and attend the following:
- Criminal Record Check
- Two references
- Mandatory New Volunteer Orientation Curriculum on Learning Hub
- Group Site Orientation
- Mandatory compliance with all Fraser Health policies
Auxiliary to Abbotsford Regional Hospital
The Auxiliary to Abbotsford Regional Hospital has been serving the health care communities for over 95 years. This non-profit society oversees and manages the hospital gift shop and is involved closely with the Fraser Valley Health Care Foundation in providing funding for much needed medical equipment and patient comfort items.