Become a volunteer at Royal Columbian Hospital.
The volunteers at Royal Columbian hospital share a commitment to improving the quality of the patient and family experience. Volunteers are an integral part of the healthcare team, supporting and enhancing the work of the healthcare professionals.
Our volunteers are engaged in meaningful activities and roles such as Wayfinders, Auxiliary Members, and when possible, patient visitors. Our volunteers come from diverse backgrounds and all share the strong desire to make a positive impact on the lives and healthcare experiences of our patients, families and visitors.
Volunteering provides opportunities to explore new careers, learn new skills, meet new people and give back to your community.
Volunteers must meet the following requirements to be a successful candidate:
- Customer service experience
- Proof of season flu vaccination
- Minimum age: 18 years
- Minimum commitment: 9 months (one shift per week on a consistent day) and 100 hours
- Proficient in English
- Strong communication skills
- Proof of season flu vaccination (when applicable)
- Proof of COVID-19 full vaccination (recommended)
View current opportunities and complete the application form online.
- Step 1 Application: Complete the application form online.
- Step 2 Interview: Only candidates who qualify for the available position will be contacted for an initial interview
- Step 3 Screening: Criminal record check and references will be required
- Step 4 Orientation: Complete an online orientation session for volunteers and attend a hospital orientation session
- Step 5 Placement: Training and placement will follow the orientation
Royal Columbian Hospital Volunteer
Royal Columbian Hospital volunteers are an integral part of the healthcare team. They are instrumental in helping to create a positive experience for our patients, families and visitors. Our volunteers participate in varied programs, such as Wayfinding and Patient Support. Volunteering in a hospital is a way to learn about possible careers in health care.
Royal Columbian Hospital Auxiliary
Royal Columbian Hospital Auxiliary was found in 1902 and the members are a group of dedicated volunteers who have donated thousands of hours of their time every year to raise money to purchase new equipment for the hospital.
When applying to become a part of the Auxiliary team, please indicate this on your application form.
Pet Therapy Program
Volunteers and their pets visit selected patients. Pets must be screened by BC Pets & Friends or St. John Therapy Dog prior to placement. Please indicate on your application form that you are interested in the Pet Therapy program and submit the Pet Registration Form.
Pacific Open Heart Program
Provides support and encouragement to open heart surgery patients. Volunteers must have undergone open heart surgery. Please indicate on your application form that you are interested in the Pacific Open Heart program.