Learn about self-isolation and self-monitoring for Fraser Health staff and medical staff

Updated: Self-isolation requirements for all staff and medical staff when entering B.C. following national and international travel 

For more information on travel, visit the BCCDC website.

  • Do I need to self-isolate after travel within Canada?

    As of June 24, 2020, travel is permitted within the province and to other provinces without a requirement to self-isolate upon your return. 

    However, staff and medical staff arriving in or returning to British Columbia from other provinces are recommended to wear a surgical or procedure mask while at work and self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days upon return.

  • Do I need to self-isolate after travel outside of Canada?

    Travel outside of Canada is subject to the federal government’s Quarantine Act, as well as the BC Provincial Health Officer’s self-isolation order. Upon entering British Columbia following international travel, including from the United States, staff and medical staff are required by law to self-isolate for 14 days and to have a supporting self-isolation plan in place. 

  • Are there exceptions to the Quarantine Act if I’m an essential worker? 

    All Fraser Health staff and medical staff returning from out of country who want to return to work before the 14-day self-isolation period is completed must obtain appropriate permission prior to travel.

    In very limited circumstances an exemption from the requirement to self-isolate from work may be considered and granted by a Site Medical Director (SMD) or Executive Director (ED). 

    This does not include staff or medical staff returning from travel for non-essential reasons, such as vacations or visiting family or friends.

    Information about the risk assessment required when granting emergency exemptions can be found on the Ministry of Health's website.

    Individuals who are moving from another country to provide health care services in British Columbia are expected to self-isolate for 14 days prior to beginning work. 

    Staff who reside in other countries and who commute regularly to British Columbia to provide essential health care services as approved by a Site Medical Director or Executive Director may be granted a letter to facilitate crossing the border, but quarantine decisions are at the discretion of the border services officer. 

    Under the rare circumstances when an exemption to the 14-day self-isolation period from work is permitted, you will be restricted to providing essential health care services while wearing appropriate personal protective equipment and must abide by all other self-isolation requirements (link) outside of the workplace during the 14-day period.

  • Will I be compensated if I have to self-isolate under the Quarantine Act? 

    In cases of non-essential travel, Fraser Health will not compensate employees for the time they are in isolation and absent from work. 

    It is therefore important that Fraser Health staff and medical staff who are planning international travel consult with their manager to arrange additional vacation or unpaid leave of absence for their self-isolation period.

  • I feel unwell. Should I come to work? 

    No, you should not come to work.

    Fraser Health staff and medical staff who have cold, flu, or COVID-19 like symptoms are to stop working, get tested for COVID-19, and self-isolate while awaiting test results. 

    Learn more at the BCCDC website.

  • I may have been exposed to COVID-19, and/or directed to self-isolate by public health. What should I do?

  • How do I self-isolate?

  • How are staff compensated if they are asked to self-isolate?

    If staff are required to self-isolate by public health and are not symptomatic then they will be paid for any missed shifts and coded as “general quarantine pay."

    Note that this does not apply to staff who have traveled for non-essential reasons per the above.

    If staff are self-isolating because they are symptomatic they will be compensated for missed shifts by using their sick time banks.

    Staff who are confirmed to have been exposed while working and are confirmed positive will have a WorkSafeBC claim filed on their behalf by the Provincial Workplace Health Centre

  • How are medical staff compensated if they're off work due to COVID-19?

    Medical Staff are covered by Doctors of BC Disability Insurance provided by SunLife.

  • I’d like to stay in a hotel to self-isolate away from home. Is there any support available for that?

    The Ministry of Health has partnered with Fraser Health and our Foundation partners to support Temporary Staff Accommodation (TSA) for Health Care Workers who are working in active COVID-19 patient care, and/or staff who do not provide patient care but are assigned to a key COVID response role. This applies to all staff, including clinical staff and contracted services (e.g. contracted long term care sites, housekeeping services, food services). Our Foundations are leading this work with the local site leadership. Please connect with your supervisor for further information.