Tools for new researchers and those who wish to improve their research knowledge.
We have developed a research toolkit that provides practical tools for new researchers and those who wish to improve their research knowledge. Learn about the differences between research, quality improvement and evaluation.
Research process overview
Overview of the research process in nine steps.pdf2.39 MBUpdated 17/07/2018
Resources and information on conducting research at Fraser Health.pdf3.42 MBUpdated 18/07/2018
Formulating a research question
A step-by-step guide to developing a concise research question.pdf1.16 MBUpdated 23/06/2018
PICO can be used to help you develop your clinical question and formulate an appropriate strategy for researching your topic.pdf138.16 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
Use these planning worksheet to help formulate your research question.pdf181.89 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
Capacity building and collaboration
Guide to help researchers navigate the territory associated with building a team either on their own or at the request of someone in their organization.pdf2.12 MBUpdated 23/06/2018
Establishing and maintaining an effective collaborative research team.pdf979.72 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
- PRIMER toolkit for research collaboration
Partnership-driven Resources to IMprove and Enhance Research (PRIMER) toolkit for health research in partnership with practices and communities.
Literature review and appraisal of evidence
Learn advanced search skills to support you with your research.pdf664.53 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
Writing a literature review and using a synthesis matrix.pdf32.11 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
- Search PubMed/MEDLINE via PICO
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools: Understanding research evidence
Series of short videos to explain some important terms that you are likely to encounter when looking at research evidence.
Tools for evaluating evidence
- Grading of Recommendations, Assessment, Development and Evaluations (GRADE)
- GRADE online module
- Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine: Critical Appraisal Worksheets
Systematic Reviews, Diagnostics, Prognosis and RCTs.
- Critical Appraisal Skills Program (CASP): Tools and checklists
Systematic reviews, randomized controlled trials, cohort studies, case control studies, economic evaluations, diagnostic studies, qualitative studies and clinical prediction rule.
- Critical appraisal tools (University of Adelaide and Joanna Briggs Institute)
Case control, case reports, case series, cohort studies, diagnostic test accuracy studies, economic evaluations, prevalence studies, quasi-experimental studies (non-randomized experimental studies), RCTs, systematic reviews, text and opinion, analytical cross sectional studies, qualitative research.
- Critical appraisal checklists (Cardiff University)
Includes CASP tools/checklist as well as other options in the same categories.
- Evidence-based practice (EBP) checklists (University of Glasgow)
Treatment or prevention, qualitative research, decision analysis, educational intervention, prognosis, harm or causation, guidelines, diagnosis or screening, systematic review, economic evaluations.
Information about pilot and feasibility randomized controlled trials.pdf721.36 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
- Research hierarchy
Levels of evidence (sometimes called hierarchy of evidence) are assigned to studies based on the methodological quality of their design, validity, and applicability to patient care.
- Choosing a statistical test
Guides you in choosing a statistical test for your research.
- Introduction to statistics
Overview explaining common terms and showing how statistics is used in everyday practice.
- Qualitative research for health services
Describes the uses of qualitative methods in health services research.
- Use of qualitative methods in published health services and management research: A 10-year review
This article examines the volume and characteristics of qualitative research articles published in nine major health services and management journals between 1998 and 2008.
Template for writing a research protocol for research involving human subjects and participants.doc307.5 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
Template for writing a research protocol for research involving human subjects and participants.docx228.33 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
Use this self-evaluation checklist when developing a research proposal.doc303 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
Protocol template for chart review research.doc294.5 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
Information on how to successfully compete in a peer-reviewed grant application competition.pdf80.24 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
- Vancouver Island Health Authority: Health research funding opportunities database
Funding to support research or knowledge translation.
- University of Western Ontario: Current funding opportunities
Latest funding opportunities.
- Schulich Medicine and Dentistry: Grant writing resources
Resources to support you with grant and proposal writing.
- Tutorial for the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical conduct for research involving humans
Consists of eight modules focusing on the guidance in TCPS 2 that is applicable to all research regardless of discipline or methodology.
Information on the recruitment of research staff.pdf66.46 KBUpdated 17/07/2018
Collect and analyze data
Information about designing surveys for your research.pdf1.82 MBUpdated 23/06/2018
This guide will help you set up a simple database in Microsoft Excel to analyze your survey data.pdf3.02 MBUpdated 24/07/2018
- An overview of quantitative and qualitative data collection methods
Tips and comparisons on data collection methods.
Guide to using SPSS.pdf389.82 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
- Qualitative data analysis for health services research
Practical strategies for conducting and evaluating analyses of qualitative data applicable for health services researchers.
Authorship agreement and guidelines.42.15 KBUpdated 17/07/2018
Branded research poster template.ppt103 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
The template is only meant to be used in the case where the conference organizers do not provide one.pdf474.72 KBUpdated 23/06/2018
- Knowledge translation resources
Access knowledge translation planning templates, tools, and publications.
- Uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to Biomedical Journal
- Advice on designing scientific posters
Guide to designing posters for conferences.