MIC/VIRAP and lab/flu orders will not be orderable.
The Student Practice team is informing students and faculty instructors in nursing, unit clerk, and laboratory programs that MIC/VIRAP and LAB/FLU orders will not be orderable in MEDITECH Order Entry (OE).
Why is this important?
The following orders will no longer be available:
- For rapid respiratory virus test for children
- Sample type: nasopharyngeal aspirate/washing
- For influenza screening
- Sample type: nasopharyngeal swab
Instead, order MIC/FLURSV:
- Detects Influenza A & B virus and RSV by molecular testing (polymerase chain reaction)
- Test is performed 7 days/week at centralized FH Medical Microbiology laboratory located at Surrey Memorial Hospital
- Sample types: nasopharyngeal aspirate/washing and nasopharyngeal swab.
- Refer to Sample Collection & Dispatch Manual: Influenza Flu AB and RSV PCR (FHA), MIC 1088
How will this impact students and faculty instructors?
Students and faculty instructors who are completing student placements in Fraser Health must consult with their clinical areas to determine what other procedures should be followed to ensure that patients, clients, and residents continue to receive safe and quality care.
Please contact the Student Practice Team.