What a concussion means, when to get help and how to access the concussion clinic.

What is a concussion or mild traumatic brain injury?

  • Concussions can occur following a hard blow or jolt to the head
  • Concussions can occur with or without loss of consciousness
  • Feeling dazed or confused or being unable to remember events around the time of the injury (amnesia) is common
  • Most people with mild injuries to the brain have a good recovery
  • Proper management of concussions can help speed recovery
  • All concussions should be taken seriously

When should I get help?

Immediately following a concussion, you should be examined by a doctor. This can be done at an emergency department or a doctor’s office. You should also seek medical attention right away if you have any of the following symptoms within the first few days after the injury:

  • Headache that persists or gets worse over time
  • Drowsiness or difficulty being awakened
  • Repeated or forceful vomiting
  • Seizures (i.e. convulsions, body goes stiff, or a fixed stare)
  • Weakness or numbness in the arms or legs
  • Unsteadiness or clumsiness
  • Blurred vision or unequal size or shape of the pupils
  • Blood or clear fluid coming from the nose or ears
  • Slurred speech
  • Cannot recognize people or places
  • Unusual behaviour: increased confusion or significant irritability

How can the Fraser Health Concussion Clinic help?

In order to help your recovery process, the Fraser Health Concussion Clinic can provide early intervention and follow-up service for people who have sustained a concussion.

Your family doctor or other health care professionals can refer you to the clinic for services. You can also call the clinic if you have questions. Services available at the Concussion Clinic include:

  • Providing information about symptoms and recovery from concussion or mild traumatic brain injury
  • Guidance in returning to daily activities and work
  • Assessing rehabilitation needs and helping arrange community services, if needed
  • Consulting with your family doctor and other health care providers