Food security is when all people, at all times, have access to nutritious, safe, personally acceptable and culturally appropriate foods obtained in a manner that maintains human dignity.
Food security is everyone's business because it involves the whole food system, including:
- People who grow or catch food such as farmers, fishers or hunters
- The physical environment
- Wholesalers and warehouses where food is stored
- Transportation of food on trucks, planes, boats and trains
- Food retailers such as grocery stores, markets, bakeries, farmer's markets, co-ops and restaurants
- Places that serve food including hospitals, licensed residential facilities and institutions
- Politics and economics
- Social, educational and cultural environment
- Food eaters
Learn more about food security
- B.C. Association of Farmers' Markets
The B.C. Association of Farmers' Markets aims to educate, engage and inspire people to create a vibrant farming sector in B.C., one that nourishes and supports our natural environment and communities.
- City Farmer News
This website is a collection of stories about work done by City Farmer in Vancouver and about urban farmers from around the world.
- Farm Folk City Folk
Farm Folk City Folk is a not-for-profit society that works to cultivate a local, sustainable food system. Their projects provide access to and protection of foodlands, support local growers and producers, and engage communities in the celebration of local food.
- B.C. Food Security Gateway
The B.C. Food Security Gateway provides B.C. communities with up-to-date food security information. The gateway is meant to inform you of projects, initiatives and organizations in B.C. as well as publications, tools, guides and news. The Provincial Health Services Authority manages the gateway in partnership with the Public Health Association of B.C.
- Greater Vancouver Food Bank - community kitchen library
The Greater Vancouver Food Bank supports community kitchens, where people who have an interest in food meet regularly to cook (and often eat) healthy, nutritious meals and are encouraged to participate to the best of their abilities in menu selection, shopping, preparation and cooking.
- Vancouver Farmers' Markets
Vancouver Farmers' Markets aims to create and nurture a local, sustainable and vibrant marketplace for our community, environment and economy.