reporting immunizations

Help protect your community by reporting your child's immunizations to your public health unit.

B.C. has new mandatory vaccination status reporting

Starting July 1, 2019, parents and guardians need to report the vaccination status of their school-age children. Learn more about mandatory vaccination status reporting on our website.

Why should I report my child's immunizations?

It’s important for public health to have an up-to-date record of your child’s immunizations so we can:

  • Respond effectively to disease outbreaks in childcare facilities and schools
  • Recommend immunizations your child may be missing
  • Provide the best care for your child through our public health programs

What happens if my child does not get all the routine vaccines or does not have a record?

If someone at school has a vaccine preventable disease, children who are unprotected or who don’t have a record may be asked to stay home until it is safe to return, possibly missing school activities and days or even weeks of school.

Find out how to get your child immunized.

Why don't you have the immunization information for my child?

If your child was immunized by a Fraser Health doctor, pharmacist or public health nurse in our region, then our public health units should have an immunization record for your child.

If your child was immunized by a health care provider outside of the Fraser Health region (Richmond, Vancouver or out-of-province), or you have just moved to the area, we may not have a record because they are not automatically provided to public health.

When should I report a child's immunization record?

  1. If your child is immunized outside of the Fraser Health region (e.g. Vancouver, Richmond, or out of province).
  2. If your child is immunized by a pharmacist.
  3. Before your child starts kindergarten, if you have not submitted their record.

You do not need to report immunizations that are provided to your child at a Fraser Health public health unit or at school by a public health nurse because those immunizations are recorded into Fraser Health’s system.

How do I report my child's immunization record?

There are three ways to report your child’s immunization record.

  1. In person: Drop off a photocopy of your child’s immunization record to your public health unit

  2. Fax or mail: Send a copy of your child’s immunization record by fax or mail to your public health unit.

  3. Online: Submit a photo of your child’s immunizations record to public health on our website at
    Please note: the immunization form will be undergoing maintenance on September 16, 2021, from 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. and will be unavailable during this time. Thank you for your patience. 

If you are unsure if your child’s immunizations are up to date, please review with your family doctor or call your local public health unit.

For school-aged children (Kindergarten to Grade 12) you can also check the status of their immunization records using the Vaccine Status Indicator on ImmunizeBC.

Can I get a printed copy of my child's record after reporting?

Yes, call your local public health unit and they will provide you with a copy. Getting your immunization records takes a few steps but it is a worthwhile process. 

Please note: If a minor provided consent for immunization, only that minor can request a copy of their immunization record.

Getting your immunization records takes a few steps but it is a worthwhile process. 

Always keep a current immunization record for your child in a safe place.

You may be asked for your child's record during their life. You may need the record if you register your child for daycare, school summer camp, college or university and for some travel.