Ways to have a healthy, active and safe pandemic summer.
While summer brings lots of healthy opportunities like farm-fresh produce, more time outdoors and relaxing staycations, this summer brings some extra considerations to help keep our loved ones and communities safe. Here are some ways to have a healthy, active and safe summer, while minimizing transmission of COVID-19.
Warm summer weather is a perfect time to get outside and be more active. Bigger spaces, fewer faces!
- Safe summer playdates
- Get outside! Shake up your summer with active outdoor family play
- Vancouver Trails provides information on difficulty, distance and time to hike for trails across the Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley and Whistler region.
Know before you go: some B.C. parks require day-use passes.
- Walk your way to health. A guide to local walking adventures for all generations.
- Unplugged. Kid-approved, off-screen activities.
- Bike safety. Tips to keep you and your family safe while biking.
- Safety tips for swimmers.
Sun and heat safety
- Sun and heat safety. How to stay safe in the sun and ways to beat the heat.
- The secret to safe sun. Surprising sunscreen facts to keep you and your family sun safe.
- Summer food safety. Reduce your risk of food borne illness.
- Window safety for children. Tips to prevent falls out of windows and balconies.
Be prepared to practice the same precautions away, as you would at home while being respectful of any particular precautions your destination may request.
- Remember your travel manners
- Rental restrictions – The Provincial Health Officer’s order on gatherings and events limits the number of people in vacation accommodations, including for house, cabin, yurt and boat rentals, and hotel room. Plan and confirm your bookings before your go!
- Travel advisories – Before heading out, check to make sure towns, communities and regions are ready to welcome you, including the specific local businesses you wish to visit.
- BC Ferries travel advisories
- Drive BC
- B.C. travel information
Eat fresh, grow fresh and live fresh
Summer brings a bounty of fresh, local produce perfect for fresh family meals. Try lightening up your dishes and teach kids about balancing summer treats with healthy eats.