Supervised consumption sites are health services where individuals can inject or consume substances in a safe and clean environment under the supervision of trained staff.
Supervised consumption sites are health services where individuals can inject or consume substances in a hygienic environment under the supervision of trained staff, and have opportunities to engage in other health and social services.
- Distribution of supplies for safer injection
- Education on safe injection technique and infection prevention
- Overdose prevention and intervention
- Medical and counselling services
- Referrals to substance use treatment
- Connection to housing and other support services
In May 2017, we received approval from Health Canada to implement two supervised consumption sites in Surrey. Both sites provide supervised consumption services to people who inject substances or consume them by oral or intra-nasal methods.
When did these services become available?
In June 2017, two supervised consumption sites opened in Surrey as part of our regional overdose strategy to help combat the continuing crisis in our region. As part of this strategy, we’ve been working with our partners to address the public health emergency and continue to develop long-term plans to enhance services.
Where are these services available?
The two supervised consumption sites in Surrey are integrated with existing health services. They are located at:
- SafePoint: Unit 2 – 10681 135A Street, Surrey - Provides services to people who inject substances, or consume them by oral or intra-nasal methods.
- Quibble Creek Sobering and Assessment Centre: 13670 – 94A Avenue, Surrey - Provides services to existing clients of the centre who consume substances by injection, oral or intra-nasal methods.
- Opioid agonist treatment is also available at these sites. Learn more about our supervised consumption sites.
What other communities will have opioid agonist treatment available?
In addition to expanded addictions treatment in Surrey, Fraser Health has expanded opioid agonist treatment capacity in Maple Ridge at Alouette Addictions Services. In the coming months, opioid agonist treatment will be implemented in Abbotsford at Abbotsford Community Services.
Why are we making these services available?
The provision of supervised consumption services is one component of the provincial and regional response to the public health emergency declared in April 2016.
Find out more about why we need supervised consumption services.
- Why do we need supervised consumption services?
Supervised consumption services save lives and improve community well-being.
- Supervised consumption sites
The two supervised consumption sites in Surrey will be integrated into existing health services.
- Opioid treatment
Provides individuals who are addicted to substances with prescribed medicine in a supervised clinical setting.
- Overdose prevention and response
Become aware of how to prevent, recognize and respond to an overdose.