Travelers at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) on the following three flights may have been exposed to measles
Vancouver, BC – Travelers at the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) on the following three flights may have been exposed to measles
February 24, 2017:
- China Airlines Flight C132 (Taipei to Vancouver) arriving at 6:10 pm PST
- WestJet Flight WS 186 (Vancouver to Edmonton) departing at 10:20 pm PST
Passengers waiting at Immigration/Customs and the domestic terminal at Vancouver International Airport between 6:10 pm February 24 and 12:20 am February 25 may also have been exposed.
February 27, 2017:
Air Canada Flight 997 (Mexico City to Vancouver) arriving at 11:22 am PST
Passengers and the public in the Immigration/Customs hall and/or the international arrival exit greeting area between 11:30 am and 2:30 pm February 27 may have also been exposed.
Anyone who may have been exposed to measles should watch for signs and symptoms until March 21, 2017. Travelers should watch for:
- Runny nose
- Conjunctivitis, or pink eye
- And a red rash.
Travelers who develop these symptoms should see a doctor, and call the doctor’s office before going, so precautions can be taken to protect other patients. Passengers with symptoms should also report their illness to Fraser Health public health by calling 604-507-5484 and pressing 1.
Most people in B.C. are immune to measles because they’ve had the measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) vaccination or already had the illness as a child. MMR, which most people in B.C. have received, is safe and effective. Some young adults and those born outside Canada may not be completely immunized against measles.
- People born before 1957 are considered immune to measles and do not need a vaccine.
- Those born between 1957 and 1970 should have one dose of MMR if they have not had measles.
- Those born after 1970 should have two doses of MMR after their first birthday.
This case associated with international travel is a reminder that all travellers should ensure they are up-to-date with their measles and other vaccinations before travelling. Vancouver Coastal Health operates travel clinics in Vancouver and Richmond; call 604-736-9244 for an appointment.
To book an immunization appointment in the Fraser Health region:
- Residents of Fraser East (Mission, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Agassiz and Hope) call 604-720-4906
- Residents of any other areas of Fraser Health call 604-476-7087
For media inquiries, please contact:
Vancouver Coastal Health after hours media line